Note: To complete the procedures in this document, you must be assigned a role having the necessary permissions. To determine your role, follow the directions in Participant roles. For a basic understanding of roles and permissions, see Permissions and roles.
In Forums, you can set permissions to control access while you're creating a new forum or topic (see Creating a new forum and topic in Forums), or when you're editing an existing forum or topic (see Revising or deleting a forum or topic).
Under "Permissions", you can modify permission levels for participant roles. To do so, from the list under "Permissions", select a role for editing by clicking its name. Then, next to "Permission Level:", use the drop-down list to select from several predefined permission levels. Additionally, you can create custom permission levels by clicking to enable or disable the following functions:
- New Forum: Create a new forum. You can modify this option only via Template Settings.
- New Topic: Create a new topic. You can modify this option only via Template Settings or Forum Settings.
- New Response: Create a new response to your topic.
- Response to Response: Send responses to a topic response.
- Change Settings: Change the topic settings.
- Read: Read topic responses.
- Post to Gradebook: Grade responses and add comments. Send grades and comments to Gradebook.
- Mark as Read: Mark messages as read.
- Revise Postings: Use the radio buttons to indicate which postings participants with the permission level can revise (none, their own, or all postings).